Skip to content

Textpattern 4.9.2 release flight plan #2059

Open

Description

@petecooper

We are targeting Textpattern 4.9.2 to address bugs & other reported issues in Textpattern ≤4.9.1 and provide further refinements.

The release flight plan does not currently include any accommodations for a beta release.

Please update this post and subsequent replies with tasks etc as needed, assigning yourself or others where appropriate.

Timeline

  • GA release: March spring summer 2026

Milestone(s)

GA release

Textpattern 4.9.2

Personnel

  • Release pilot(s): tbc
  • Release co-pilot(s): tbc

Preflight

  • preflight
    • check vendors is up-to-date (everyone)
      • check PRs for dependabot updates
    • latest translations (@philwareham)
    • latest pophelp (@philwareham)
    • draft .com blog post (?id=491) (release pilot, or assigned person)
    • write HISTORY.txt (everyone)
      • additional credits where not already listed (e.g. patched security issues) (everyone)
    • top and tail HISTORY.txt with additional information (release pilot or co-pilot)
    • tag public/admin themes with release tag (@philwareham)

Take Off

  • take off
    • package up for GitHub and .com (release pilot)
    • update latest.zip, latest.tar.gz, and latest.tar.xz in server config (@petecooper)
    • update language pack links in server config (@petecooper)
    • update demo site (@petecooper)
    • open feedback thread on forum (?id=52771) (release pilot, or assigned person)
    • publish .com blog post (release pilot, or assigned person)
    • forum announcement (release pilot, or assigned person)
    • forum feedback (release pilot, or assigned person)

Inflight service

Activity

  1. added this to the v4.9.2 milestone on Feb 27, 2026
  2. petecooper commented on Feb 27, 2026

    @petecooper
    MemberAuthor

    We're warming up the forge for Textpattern 4.9.2.

    @philwareham @bloatware Please check the issue for preflight tasks.

    @Bloke I'm happy to take this release as pilot if you'd prefer, and I'm happy for you to push the buttons.

    @rwetzlmayr Your Wikidata fu would be appreciated in the postflight period.

    Thank you, everyone. Break a leg.

  3. pinned this issue on Feb 27, 2026
  4. petecooper commented on Jun 9, 2026

    @petecooper
    MemberAuthor

    We need to push on with this release. I propose we release week commencing June 29th 2026, which is around three weeks away.

    @Bloke - any forecast on your availability for that week, please? See above re: my involvement to help.

  5. petecooper commented on Aug 2, 2026

    @petecooper
    MemberAuthor

    Pinging this again. Can we shoot for an August release, please? Thank you.

  6. bloatware commented on Aug 3, 2026

    @bloatware
    Member

    AFAIR, we still have a pending security issue, which looks cumbersome to fix without a clear admin/public (sub)domains separation. Few easy quick'n'dirty patches are worth testing but might break something. Another option is to recognise that security-wise there are only two txp user roles: those who can publish live articles and the others. So it goes.

  7. petecooper commented on Aug 3, 2026

    @petecooper
    MemberAuthor

    @bloatware - thank you, this is helpful. Could we defer the pending security issue for 4.9.3 for further tests? It's possible (likely?) we may need a 4.9.3 release following PHP 8.6 from late November 2026 (~16 weeks at the current time).

  8. 21 remaining items

  9. jools-r commented on Oct 13, 2026

    @jools-r
    SponsorMember

    @philwareham I was just updating a site recently (host updated to MariaDB 12.3 so am using v4.9.2 to avoid the date mismatch problem) and saw that your current main branch has more admin-theme CSS modernisations since the 4.9.2 tag. Are they worth including in 4.9.2?

    EDIT: Scratch that: it would help if I looked at the newest commits first. You have included them now 👍.

  10. Bloke commented on Oct 13, 2026

    @Bloke
    Member

    The admin theme checksums should get regenerated from our toolbelt script during the release process.

  11. petecooper commented on Oct 15, 2026

    @petecooper
    MemberAuthor

    Can we shoot for a release on Oct 25th? Is that enough time to address #2080 sufficiently (or least partially address it)? This should give us time to contact the various folks involved and co-ordinate where appropriate.

    @Bloke & @bloatware Does October 25th sound reasonable?

  12. Bloke commented on Oct 15, 2026

    @Bloke
    Member

    That date works for me. I'm tinkering with that email password tweak behind the scenes, but if it doesn't make it in time, no biggie.

  13. bloatware commented on Oct 16, 2026

    @bloatware
    Member

    #2080 is probably already fixed and otherwise not blocking anyway. More annoying is the token removal from textpattern.js, it partially breaks com_article_image and, potentially, some other heavily jscripty plugins.

  14. petecooper commented on Oct 16, 2026

    @petecooper
    MemberAuthor

    @bloatware Thank you - does the token removal have its own tracking issue? I have a vague memory I've seen discussions but not in issue form.

  15. Bloke commented on Oct 16, 2026

    @Bloke
    Member

    More annoying is the token removal

    I put it back a few weeks ago.

  16. bloatware commented on Oct 16, 2026

    @bloatware
    Member

    Oops, sorry, where have I been? Then we should be ready for 4.9.2.

  17. petecooper commented on Oct 16, 2026

    @petecooper
    MemberAuthor

    I'll communicate with the third parties this weekend re: release date and we can let 'er rip next weekend.

  18. petecooper commented on Oct 16, 2026

    @petecooper
    MemberAuthor
  19. bloatware commented on Oct 16, 2026

    @bloatware
    Member

    Anecdotally, on Oct 25th the North DST will be over... along with the main reason to update to 4.9.2 :-)

  20. added 2 commits that reference this issue on Oct 16, 2026
  21. petecooper commented on Oct 21, 2026

    @petecooper
    MemberAuthor

    Given the significant events related to CVE-2026-109618 and CVE-2026-109619, I propose we defer 4.9.2 for a week – October 31st 2026 (and not a Halloween reference in sight).

    Does that work for you @Bloke? I'm around for the release heavy lifting, as per.

  22. Bloke commented on Oct 21, 2026

    @Bloke
    Member

    Absolutely fine by me. Four dot nine dot twooooooooooh on Halloween it is.

    Dammit, couldn't resist.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment

Metadata

Metadata

Type

No type

Projects

No projects

    Relationships

    None yet

    Development

    No branches or pull requests

    Issue actions