You signed in with another tab or window. Reload to refresh your session.You signed out in another tab or window. Reload to refresh your session.You switched accounts on another tab or window. Reload to refresh your session.Dismiss alert
@mhdawson I just sent a PR for the nodejs/build webhook, so I think it's mainly the rename that needs to happen before the 2 PRs are landed.
The Crowdin part isn't really used right now, so it can probably get cleaned up later
I think it should be good to go, as long as there isn't a pending release that might need release notes to get published today. I'm guessing there might be some manual work to redeploy the webhook on the build PR, so the related PR here is picked up
It looks like our next set of releases are not scheduled until 29th June, so anytime this week should be a good. But, generally, we aim for Tuesday releases, so just avoiding those seems reasonable.
Edit: Looks like we delayed v16.4.0 until 22nd June - so worth waiting until that has gone out
@mhdawson I'll find out -- I roughly know the bit on the infra servers that rebuild the website but would need to dig through to work out how the webhook works.
Update the files on www. I've never actually run the playbook in https://github.com/nodejs/build/tree/master/ansible/www-standalone before -- the README says it's not tested against the live server and I think we've generally made changes on the server and reflected them back into the Ansible scripts rather than doing them first in Ansible. The two referenced files above end up on the server as:
/etc/github-webhook.json (this looks different to the one in the repo -- at some point we dropped the webhook for benchmarking but don't appear to have updated the repo)
/home/nodejs/build-site.sh
Restart the github-webhook.service (e.g. systemctl restart github-webhook.service) to reload the configuration.
Update the files on www. I've never actually run the playbook in https://github.com/nodejs/build/tree/master/ansible/www-standalone before -- the README says it's not tested against the live server and I think we've generally made changes on the server and reflected them back into the Ansible scripts rather than doing them first in Ansible. The two referenced files above end up on the server as:
+1 I think we should do the manual changes and reflect back.
@richardlau thanks. Once the PR is updated as you requested, we should find a good time to do the update. Maybe you can look at the upcoming schedule and then confirm with the releasers what a good time would be?
As a separate thought (not part of this issue/work) it might be good to audit the differences between the files in the repo and what is on the www server. I expect there may be a bunch of differences.
Not to go too far off topic, but I also opened up #3018 awhile ago, since we do occasionally have issues with the webhook. But that is separate from this issue. I'll take a look at the build PR comments now
@richardlau thanks. Once the PR is updated as you requested, we should find a good time to do the update. Maybe you can look at the upcoming schedule and then confirm with the releasers what a good time would be?
The build PR has been updated and looks good. As far as releases go the next planned ones are next Tuesday (21st Sept, 16.x cc @BethGriggs) with a 14 semver minor the week after that (nodejs/node#39990). We could aim to do this tomorrow?
Rebased and landed #3762 so the "Edit on GitHub" links will work in the footer.
Only outstanding piece seems to be Crowd-in, but I'm unsure how much that ever got used to be honest
Activity
mhdawson commentedon Jun 17, 2021
Assume this is still underway?
nschonni commentedon Jun 17, 2021
@mhdawson I just sent a PR for the nodejs/build webhook, so I think it's mainly the rename that needs to happen before the 2 PRs are landed.
The Crowdin part isn't really used right now, so it can probably get cleaned up later
mhdawson commentedon Jun 18, 2021
@nschonni I can do the rename if you think everything is ready, just let me know.
nschonni commentedon Jun 18, 2021
I think it should be good to go, as long as there isn't a pending release that might need release notes to get published today. I'm guessing there might be some manual work to redeploy the webhook on the build PR, so the related PR here is picked up
mhdawson commentedon Jun 18, 2021
@BethGriggs what would be a good time to do the rename from the perspective of avoiding releases?
BethGriggs commentedon Jun 21, 2021
It looks like our next set of releases are not scheduled until 29th June, so anytime this week should be a good. But, generally, we aim for Tuesday releases, so just avoiding those seems reasonable.
Edit: Looks like we delayed v16.4.0 until 22nd June - so worth waiting until that has gone out
richardlau commentedon Jun 21, 2021
We still haven't released nodejs/node#39031 yet (when discussed in last weeks' Release WG meeting the plan was to delay/try for tomorrow (22 June)).
mhdawson commentedon Jun 24, 2021
At this point I think we should likely wait until after the upcoming security release.
mhdawson commentedon Sep 13, 2021
@richardlau do you know what we need to do/have access to do the "might be some manual work to redeploy the webhook on the build PR,"
richardlau commentedon Sep 13, 2021
@mhdawson I'll find out -- I roughly know the bit on the infra servers that rebuild the website but would need to dig through to work out how the webhook works.
richardlau commentedon Sep 16, 2021
@mhdawson For the webhook we'd need to update two files on the www server and then restart the
github-webhook.servicesystemd service.origin/master:ansible/www-standalone/resources/config/github-webhook.json.j2(chore: Update nodejs.org webhook branch build#2676)ansible/www-standalone/resources/scripts/build-site.sh(requested to be added to chore: Update nodejs.org webhook branch build#2676)www. I've never actually run the playbook in https://github.com/nodejs/build/tree/master/ansible/www-standalone before -- the README says it's not tested against the live server and I think we've generally made changes on the server and reflected them back into the Ansible scripts rather than doing them first in Ansible. The two referenced files above end up on the server as:/etc/github-webhook.json(this looks different to the one in the repo -- at some point we dropped the webhook for benchmarking but don't appear to have updated the repo)/home/nodejs/build-site.shgithub-webhook.service(e.g.systemctl restart github-webhook.service) to reload the configuration.richardlau commentedon Sep 16, 2021
@mhdawson Also I believe I have access to do the build-infra side of this.
mhdawson commentedon Sep 16, 2021
In respect to
+1 I think we should do the manual changes and reflect back.
mhdawson commentedon Sep 16, 2021
@richardlau thanks. Once the PR is updated as you requested, we should find a good time to do the update. Maybe you can look at the upcoming schedule and then confirm with the releasers what a good time would be?
mhdawson commentedon Sep 16, 2021
As a separate thought (not part of this issue/work) it might be good to audit the differences between the files in the repo and what is on the www server. I expect there may be a bunch of differences.
nschonni commentedon Sep 16, 2021
Not to go too far off topic, but I also opened up #3018 awhile ago, since we do occasionally have issues with the webhook. But that is separate from this issue. I'll take a look at the build PR comments now
richardlau commentedon Sep 16, 2021
The build PR has been updated and looks good. As far as releases go the next planned ones are next Tuesday (21st Sept, 16.x cc @BethGriggs) with a 14 semver minor the week after that (nodejs/node#39990). We could aim to do this tomorrow?
mhdawson commentedon Sep 17, 2021
@richardlau I guess we did not do it today since I see no discussion here. Would you be able to do it next Wednesday the day after the release?
richardlau commentedon Sep 17, 2021
@mhdawson Yes but I'd need you or another repository owner to do the actual rename here (I can do the build-infra bit).
mhdawson commentedon Sep 17, 2021
I can do the rename, would doing it together at 12 ET work?
richardlau commentedon Sep 17, 2021
SGTM
mhdawson commentedon Sep 22, 2021
Branch renamed, and we landed a PR (#4122) and from what we can see so far we think the webhook ran ok.
nschonni commentedon Sep 22, 2021
Rebased and landed #3762 so the "Edit on GitHub" links will work in the footer.
Only outstanding piece seems to be Crowd-in, but I'm unsure how much that ever got used to be honest
XhmikosR commentedon Dec 28, 2021
Can we close this issue now that the branch renaming is done?
As for Crowdin, if it's not used, is there any reason we keep the README.md badge, its config and a PR open?
nschonni commentedon Dec 28, 2021
I believe the Crowdin part was never fixed, but I don't think it's really ever got traction @nodejs/crowdin-managers
AugustinMauroy commentedon Jan 12, 2023
look up here #4994