You signed in with another tab or window. Reload to refresh your session.You signed out in another tab or window. Reload to refresh your session.You switched accounts on another tab or window. Reload to refresh your session.Dismiss alert
I propose this plan for the next Node.js 11 Current releases, until the week before Node.js 12 is supposed to be released.
It's a simple rule: one release every two weeks, with an exception of three weeks during end of year holidays. I always put Tuesday as approximative date but the release could happen any day of the week, depending on releaser's availability.
We already have a volunteer to do the next release. @BethGriggs is week 51 OK for you?
On Sat, Dec 8, 2018, 9:52 AM Michaël Zasso ***@***.*** wrote:
Week Approximative date Releaser
2018 - 51 2018-12-19 @BethGriggs <https://github.com/BethGriggs>
2019 - 02 2019-01-09 ???
2019 - 04 2019-01-23 ???
2019 - 06 2019-02-06 ???
2019 - 08 2019-02-20 ???
2019 - 10 2019-03-06 ???
2019 - 12 2019-03-20 ???
2019 - 14 2019-04-03 ???
2019 - 16 2019-04-17 ???
/cc @nodejs/releasers <https://github.com/orgs/nodejs/teams/releasers>
I propose this plan for the next Node.js 11 Current releases, until the
week before Node.js 12 is supposed to be released.
It's a simple rule: one release every two weeks, with an exception of
three weeks during end of year holidays. I always put Wednesday as
approximative date but the release could happen any day of the week,
depending on releaser's availability.
We already have a volunteer <#395>
to do the next release. @BethGriggs <https://github.com/BethGriggs> is
week 51 OK for you?
—
You are receiving this because you are on a team that was mentioned.
Reply to this email directly, view it on GitHub
<#397>, or mute the thread
<https://github.com/notifications/unsubscribe-auth/AAecV6va8riTLov0wMZDusJaY-nHgYj0ks5u29IngaJpZM4ZJq0p>
.
@MylesBorins OK, I changed the dates... But those should not be considered fixed. I personally have more time to do releases on Wednesdays or Thursdays.
@BridgeAR I generally push for releases on Tuesday for 2 reasons
Give external teams appropriate time during the week to adopt the new release
Give us a large buffer in case of release problems. We have had releases that broke stuff, it wasn't pointed out until wednesday / thursday, we then in turn still had time to respond and get a new release out during the week without requiring a firedrill during the weekend.
I personally have more time to do releases on Wednesdays or Thursdays.
While I totally understand the timing issue here, my hope would be that the majority of release work has been done in advance, a least multiple days in advance. So, for example, a release can be prepared and proposed on a Thursday so that testing can begin. This was the only work to be done on tuesday is promotion... which "shouldn't" take more than an hour.
@ljharb currently there are lots of conflicts between master and 11.x and I did not get to resolve all of these and I have to get some sleep but I'll try to finish it tomorrow.
It's likely that we should backport a couple of older commits first though. Otherwise each release is going to become more complicated.
I'm most interested in seeing nodejs/node#25234 make it into an 11.6 patch release; as long as it doesn't get delayed to an 11.7, i'm more than happy to wait til you have time :-) Thanks!
I opened a release proposal for 11.7.0 (should this be a semver-patch release? If so, it'll we a tiny release as we had quite some issues backporting things and it would require more time to resolve further conflicts. Right now we are back on track with the conflicts and have only few backport requests to 11.x).
Should we release the next current (v11) version next week or the week after? It was originally planned to release it this week but it was postponed due to the security release.
I personally suggest to release it on next Tuesday but I do not know how everyone else feels about it.
@codebytere During yesterday's meeting, we decided to move the last active release of v11.x to 2019-04-16 so it doesn't happen the same week as 12.0.0. Is it still OK for you?
For now, I've based the v12.0.0 release changelog on the diff between v11.14.0 and v12.x. Some PRs have landed on 11.x-staging that would be good to ship (even if that happens to be after v12.x goes out).
The final planned release is next week. I'm thinking that if there is a demand or a request for some specific fixes/backports we could do another release before v11.x goes End-of-Life on 2019-06-01 to tie up any loose ends.
Activity
MylesBorins commentedon Dec 8, 2018
targos commentedon Dec 8, 2018
@MylesBorins OK, I changed the dates... But those should not be considered fixed. I personally have more time to do releases on Wednesdays or Thursdays.
BridgeAR commentedon Dec 9, 2018
I suggest to use the dates as recommendation and let the releasing person be flexible with the actual day while trying to prevent releases on Fridays.
I am fine to volunteer for e.g., each even 11 release. That way I know when to take some time for it.
MylesBorins commentedon Dec 10, 2018
@BridgeAR I generally push for releases on Tuesday for 2 reasons
While I totally understand the timing issue here, my hope would be that the majority of release work has been done in advance, a least multiple days in advance. So, for example, a release can be prepared and proposed on a Thursday so that testing can begin. This was the only work to be done on tuesday is promotion... which "shouldn't" take more than an hour.
targos commentedon Dec 16, 2018
I volunteer for 2019-01-22
targos commentedon Jan 7, 2019
Ping @nodejs/releasers do we have a volunteer for this week? It would be nice to have a patch release with npm 6.5.0 stable.
BridgeAR commentedon Jan 7, 2019
I'll prepare the release tomorrow.
ljharb commentedon Jan 8, 2019
how goes today's patch release? :-D
BridgeAR commentedon Jan 9, 2019
@ljharb currently there are lots of conflicts between master and 11.x and I did not get to resolve all of these and I have to get some sleep but I'll try to finish it tomorrow.
It's likely that we should backport a couple of older commits first though. Otherwise each release is going to become more complicated.
ljharb commentedon Jan 9, 2019
I'm most interested in seeing nodejs/node#25234 make it into an 11.6 patch release; as long as it doesn't get delayed to an 11.7, i'm more than happy to wait til you have time :-) Thanks!
MylesBorins commentedon Jan 9, 2019
MylesBorins commentedon Jan 15, 2019
@BridgeAR are you still able to do this?
BridgeAR commentedon Jan 16, 2019
I opened a release proposal for 11.7.0 (should this be a semver-patch release? If so, it'll we a tiny release as we had quite some issues backporting things and it would require more time to resolve further conflicts. Right now we are back on track with the conflicts and have only few backport requests to 11.x).
nodejs/node#25537
ljharb commentedon Jan 16, 2019
My hope is for a patch release.
6 remaining items
BridgeAR commentedon Mar 1, 2019
Should we release the next current (v11) version next week or the week after? It was originally planned to release it this week but it was postponed due to the security release.
I personally suggest to release it on next Tuesday but I do not know how everyone else feels about it.
targos commentedon Mar 1, 2019
I have no objection to doing releases two weeks in a row (if there are enough commits to warrant it).
MylesBorins commentedon Mar 1, 2019
BridgeAR commentedon Mar 13, 2019
I updated the staging branch today to get a release proposal together but that took quite a bit due to lots of conflicts and bisecting in-between.
I would like to release a new version tomorrow if no one is against it, since a fix for jest just landed. Any opinions @nodejs/releasers?
sam-github commentedon Mar 28, 2019
FYI, I linked to this from https://github.com/nodejs/Release/wiki
targos commentedon Mar 29, 2019
@codebytere During yesterday's meeting, we decided to move the last active release of v11.x to 2019-04-16 so it doesn't happen the same week as 12.0.0. Is it still OK for you?
BethGriggs commentedon Apr 9, 2019
Currently prepping today's release, aim to open the PR later this evening and have it go out tomorrow
targos commentedon Apr 17, 2019
@codebytere Do you have time to prepare this week's release? If not I can do it.
BethGriggs commentedon Apr 18, 2019
For now, I've based the v12.0.0 release changelog on the diff between v11.14.0 and v12.x. Some PRs have landed on 11.x-staging that would be good to ship (even if that happens to be after v12.x goes out).
BridgeAR commentedon Apr 18, 2019
@BethGriggs just for understanding since I somewhat read both: is it only about the changelog or are commits missing that landed on the 11 branch?
BethGriggs commentedon Apr 18, 2019
Ah sorry, in regards to Node 12 it is just the changelog. As far as I know, all new commits currently on v11.x-staging are manual v11.x backports.
BethGriggs commentedon Apr 25, 2019
The final planned release is next week. I'm thinking that if there is a demand or a request for some specific fixes/backports we could do another release before v11.x goes End-of-Life on 2019-06-01 to tie up any loose ends.
targos commentedon Apr 25, 2019
+1